Monochrome Madness

The gray days of winter can drive you mad, so why not embrace it? A perfect motivation for monochrome photography! I chose two images that I made in Glacier National Park last summer and converted them to black & white. I’m quite pleased with how they came out! Which one do you like best?

Sunset Near Hidden Lake

Grinnell Glacier Overlook

For more monochrome images to stimulate your creativity, see The Monochrome Weekendtheme site.

This entry was posted in Glacier National Park, Monochrome. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Monochrome Madness

1. Aileni says:

There is a hint of Ansell Adams there, particularly the second image.Good result.

2. John says:

I'll differ from Aileni, I prefer the top shot.

3. Vita Stunder says:

I prefer the first shot too :)Great work!

4. Serendipity says:

These are both lovely. I prefer the second shot 🙂

5. awarewriter says:

What a decision! Both images are spectacular. I like the first one. The way the mountains appear in the distance is magical.I like the second shot but for different reasons. Ansel Adams would like both I think.

6. Julie says:

Wow! WEhat plaudits, Dave. And deservedly so.I am only a beginner at this, but in your comment on my site, you mention shapes, lines and values. Not sure what you mean by values but to me covering the grey scale is paramount, ie black down to white and everything in between. To that I would add either perspective or depth of field. And then, of course, the shapes and lines must be strong.Both your images here ascribe to all these elements. They are quite something. It is no good me trying to discriminate between them: they are so very different, yet each is quite stunning.Bravo!

7. Carver says:

They are both great so hard to choose. If I had to choose I'd say the first. Something about the little light from the water and the mountains in fog (if that's what it is) that I really love. Then again the second one is great too. Happy New Year.

8. Lene says:

Ohhh… What a wonderful wiev…! Well captured – whish I was there with my camera 🙂 HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU AND YOUR BELOVED ONES :

9. James says:

Outstanding photos!

10. Gena D says:

I particularly love the first image of the mountains – one behind another – gorgeous – such depth and the mist is evident, really great shot!! Thanks for visiting my blog too and your lovely feedback – I like what I see on your blog, your tips, thoughts and pictures and am now following you and have added you to my blog roll – here's to a happy and highly creative 2010!!! Gena @ thinking aloud blog: http://tobethinkingaloud.blogspot.com

11. Riet says:

MY choice is the first photo. I love the mountains here,Happy New Year

12. Shannara says:

I prefer the first shot. Love the way the mountains look in the background.

13. Spiderdama says:

Love this rock and mountain! Really good shot:-) Wish you a Happy New Year!

14. Maria says:

Your first image is the most beautiful one. The second image is the one that is most interesting though, nice contrast between the dark rock in the front, the white cloud and the greyish glacier.Thanks for the visit.

15. Regina says:

Love the scenery!Such an awesome captures.

16. MyMaracas says:

Oh. My. Lord. These are just amazing, as in Ansel Adams amazing. Both are wonderful, but I love the depth and the painterly quality of the first one. Gorgeous. Just gorgeous.

17. Irene says:

Love them both! I think I would love them i colors too :o)

18. Bill says:

Both shots are great! I really like them a lot. As I have several books of Ansel Adams photography, both in b/w and colour, I am particularly pleased to have discovered your blog.